Oatmeal is the comfy oversized hoodie of breakfast foods. It’s warm, friendly, cozy. It doesn’t have to look good ~ it just is good. If a bowl of healthy, virtuous, whole-grain breakfast porridge married a sweet, sexy oatmeal cookie loaded with berries and walnuts, this would be their tasty, tasty offspring. It’s soft but not gloppy, so it should please even those who object to oatmeal’s “gruelishness.” It’s lovely right out of the oven, but it’s even better the next day (and the next). Got an early run in the morning? Throw this into the oven the night before and you’ll have breakfast to reheat in the morning.
Cherry-Berry Walnut Baked Oatmeal
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup mixed dried cranberries, cherries, and blueberries
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 2-quart casserole dish with nonstick pan spray. Combine all ingredients in casserole dish; stir to combine.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes, until just firm and the center doesn’t move when you gently jiggle the baking dish.
- Let cool on a rack for 5 minutes before serving. Spoon into bowls and, if desired, top with milk or cream before serving.
Makes 4 servings