Today was Day Two of heat training for me. I went out earlier and longer ~ 6.5 miles this time. I also enjoyed approximately .08 miles of shade on the Bonanza Trail, so I guess you could say I took it easy on myself. Tidbits gleaned on today’s run:
1. Full sun in Vegas is no joke. Even at 8:00 in the morning, the sun is a beast; plan accordingly.
2. Bring an insulated water bottle if possible. Ice in a regular water bottle will melt in about 15 minutes.
3. A wet bandanna tied around your head may look ridiculous, but it will keep your head from exploding.
4. Cars will honk at you. It’s not necessarily because you look especially cute in your running shorts, but rather that they want to acknowledge the insanity of running on heat-radiating concrete in Las Vegas when it’s pushing 90 degrees F.
5. Metallica on your iPod helps. Adele, not so much.